1. Travel
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Renew Your Car Registration in Arkansas


Who Must Register Their Vehicle:

All residents must register their vehicles within 30 days of establishing a residency in Arkansas.

Non-residents can operate a vehicle for up to six months in the state of Arkansas.

What Documents Do You Need:

You must have proof of personal property assessment and proof that no personal property taxes are due. These can be obtained through the assessor's office. You must also supply proof of liability insurance and have your VIN number available.

Arkansas law requires liability insurance not be less than $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person, not be less than $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons and coverage of $25,000 for property damage.


The fees are based on the vehicle's weight. If your car is 3,000 lbs or less the fee is $17. For cars 3,001-4,500 the fee is $25. For cars 4,501 or more the fee is $30. Half ton, 3/4 ton and one ton pickups for non-commercial use are $21.

There is a decal fee of $2.50 and you must pay postage on renewals.

Personalized Plates:

The fee to get a personalized plate in the state of Arkansas is $25 in addition to registration fees. You can search to see if your idea is taken on the DFA website. Letters, numbers, and spaces can be combined using up to seven characters for auto/pickup/van and six characters for motorcycle. Even if the tag is available, it must be approved. Vulgar, hateful or copyrighted words will not be approved.

If your plate is available, you can fill out the online form and DFA will contact you when your plate is approved.

Speciality Plates:

Specialty plates are normally $35, plus registration fees. There is an additional $20 if you can customize the plate. Generally, the organization gets $25 of those dollars. Some specialty plates are free.

There are over 100 types of specialty plates in Arkansas. You can see a complete list of plates here: DFA Arkansas. Each plate has teh details on how you qualify and the additional fees.

Plates that anyone can apply for: Most Arkansas Colleges have a plate that anyone can apply for. You can also get plate supporting Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer, Arkansas School for the Death, Arkansas State Parks, Friends of the Animals - NLR, Support our Troops, Support Animal Rescues, Armed Forces, Boy Scouts, Cattlemen's Foundation, Choose Life, Committed to Education, Department of Conservation District, Ducks Unlimited, Arkansas Game and Fish and more.

Plates you must qualify for: Vietnam and WWII vets can apply for a special veteran's plate. There are also specialty plates for congressional medal of honor winners, former POWs, disabled veterans, reserved forces and other military plates.

Specialty vehicles like taxis, ambulances and transporters have heir own plates. Amateur Radio operators, firemen and Freemasons, antique vehicles and more can all apply for a plate as well.


Renewals can be handled on the telephone, internet at ARStar.com, mail and in person at the revenue office. Many Wal-Mart stores have renewal kiosks at the customer service desk.

New tags must be applied for at a state revenue office. They are located as follows:
Little Rock Locations
1900 W. Seventh St, 501-682-4692
3 State Police Plaza Drive, 501-682-0410
9108 N. Rodney Parham Road, 501-324-9243
One State Police Plaza, 501-618-8252

North Little Rock Locations
2655-A Pike Ave, 501-324-9246

6929 JFK, Space 22, Indian Hills Shopping Center, 501-835-6904

Maumelle Locations
550 Edgewood Drive Suite 580, 501-851-7688.

4 Crestview Plaza, 501-982-5942

You can also renew your driver license and assess at these locations.

  1. About.com
  2. Travel
  3. Little Rock
  4. Little Rock Life
  5. Register Your Car - Renew Your Car Registration in Arkansas

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.