1. Local
Amanda Galiano

Is Wal-Mart Evil?

By March 30, 2008

*Update: April 1, 2008 - Wal-mart decided to drop this claim against the Shanks.

The story of Debbie Shank and Wal-mart is nothing new. It was all over the news months ago. In short, Mrs. Shank was an employee at Wal-mart and covered by their health plan. She was driving home one night and was hit on the driver's side of her car by a semi-trailer truck. The accident left her with permanent brain damage.

Wal-mart did the right thing and covered medical bills until the family sued the trucking company, and they were awarded money for damages. Wal-Mart's healthcare plan, and many other plans, gives Wal-Mart the right to recoup money they pay for medical care if the injured party collects damages in a lawsuit. This is to prevent people from collecting twice for the same medical bill, but in this case, the money collected in the lawsuit was going towards long-term care for Mrs. Shank. The family received about $417,000 from the lawsuit and Wal-mart has been awarded the $470,000 in original bills back.

The recent news in this case is that the Supreme Court has refused to even look at the case, so the family has no chance of beating "Goliath." You can sign a petition and donate to her fund on the "Wal-mart watch" site.

Wal-mart claims they only do this to help everyone in the long run. They claim it keeps health care costs down and allows them to provide quality care to more people. Critics claim while they may be in the legal right, they are in the moral wrong. I can see Wal-mart's point in some cases, but in this case I think David should slay the giant.

What do you think? Add a comment.

Comments

March 31, 2008 at 11:34 am
(1) Jack says:

Yes, Walmart is evil, and so is the corporate mind set that is in control of our country. Profits over people, that is not what this country is about, at least wasn’t before the Bush crime family took over.

March 31, 2008 at 3:54 pm
(2) Dan McMurtrie says:

You think and pray that an accident like this will never happen to you. You think your employer and your health plan will do the best by you. Yet if your employer is Wal-Mart you as an employee are disposable as one of their smily face bags.

Wal-Mart claims that they take good care of their employees and that the employee don’t need a union protect them. This accident show just how much Wal-Mart cares. Union protection translates to a contract to prevent these kind of corporate abuse.
A union is made up of hard working people looking for a little insurance that they will not be screwed like Debbie Shank. Wal-Mart seems to feel that unions are evil. Personally, I take my chances being a union member and not a Wal-Mart shopper.

April 1, 2008 at 10:33 am
(3) Randolyn says:

WHat health care, I work for walmart our health care sucks so this little bit of money they are taking from this lady isn’t going to help anyone at walmart but the big wigs only. My heart goes out to this family and I am spreading the word.

April 1, 2008 at 8:38 pm
(4) Max says:

Someone Wonder why Rest of the World Hate these Idiots, That couple is True American Tregdy, They have Lost their 18 years old son in Iraq war defending the country, These heartless Morons have the guts to go after them, What a SHAME. Walmart should burn in hell.

April 2, 2008 at 9:41 am
(5) littlerock says:

Yeah, I didn’t mention their son in the blog post, but I did speak to someone who knows the family. They told me the whole tragic story.

I’m glad the underdog won in this case! Even if it wasn’t Wal-mart’s “heart” but Wal-mart’s financial sense that won out, the outcome was good for this family.

April 2, 2008 at 4:38 pm
(6) LB says:

even though wal-mart has reversed it’s decision, it still means that the Shanks had numerous legal bills that probably will have to paid for from the money that is supposed to care for Debbie. unless they reimburse these expenses, i will never again shop wal-mart.

November 24, 2008 at 12:53 pm
(7) L says:

I work for walmart, and they are all about cutting costs, thats how they have been so successful.. In general companies claim to care about their people to create a loyal following, but Hitler was also standing up for his followers.. right.. thats a harsh comparison, but never the less, Thats messed up that any person could look at that case and decide its ok to peruse it. I’m appalled by my companies decision on that one.

March 16, 2009 at 1:54 am
(8) Dave Grandack says:

Walmart is evil. I work there and they from 2 1/2 weeks ago have been setting up a way to get me fired(bad).Mistakes / things in bags..not to mention misery in prompted sections. This is one of two similar examples:morbid enough,I take care of the constantly dying fish there there was an incident four days ago and today then clipped (all) the wings off of an Angelfish :At first I notified them about Tracy and her relations with my (bipolar) exgirlfriend. Now, it works in their favor (before the fish.) and now if they don’t decide to terminate me for finally swearing out loud.. they’ll just keep killing (cruelly)the fish in the quariums and other **** things they do. The store is 3105.

April 30, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(9) Edie says:

Not only is Wal~mart that way with thier health plan they are that way about a lot of things.Thier no return policy is one.If you loose something in thier store they do not have to return it if they don’t want too.If an emplyee finds money at Wal~Mart they can not go and try to find the rightful owner or they will be terminated.I know this for a fact.I found some money at Wal~mart and I posted flyers and put ads in the newspaper to find the rightful owner because it was around the holidays and I thought someone would need they money for Christmas.10 days later I was Terminated for not turning the money into wal~mart so they could give it to CMN!!!

August 26, 2009 at 11:34 pm
(10) Defender of The Undefended says:

I think it’s a bunch of brain damaged idoits playing the Blame Game…

February 26, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(11) DMS says:

Legally Wall-Mart is correct. If you sign a document stating “X” you agree to “X”.

For me Wall-Mart is neither Evil or Good. If I begin to target it as a “side”, I would then have to do it for ALL business. What about Target? Is it Evil or Good? Petco? They ran a nearby pet store out of business. Although the man who ran it jacked up prices two times their worth. It was a small business. It being a small business can’t make it “evil” right?

April 16, 2010 at 3:13 am
(12) allie says:

WALMARK OF THE BEAST SHOULD BE THE NAME..I hate Walmart more than words could express. I wish they were removed from off the face of the earth..THE WALMART CORP. is beyond evil.
signed, Allie—Wife of a WALMART TRUCKDRIVER

July 11, 2010 at 4:20 am
(13) Ms.L says:

Lol, I just told my husband that I wish all walmarts would crumble and go to hell. I hate that place more than words can describe. I work there and it is just horrible. People don’t understand unless they work there. I’ve read many comments that say, “no one is forcing you to work there”. True, but at this time, no one is really hiring. (And I am going to college to get the hell outta there). The pay is a bunch of bull for what they expect of us. They are a multi-BILLION dollar company. (This is multi-billion in PROFITS, after payroll has been paid. A lot of people get this confused). Billions to keep for themselves, while many of the associates have to rely on gov. assistance to get by. I find it funny how wal-marts spokespeople say how wonderful it is to build a wal-mart in your community because it will generate about 300 new jobs. Whoo, hoo, ring the bells and the horns!! 300 low paying jobs. No one can survive on that pay. I am lucky that my husband makes enough that we don’t have to depend on the government. If wal-mart paid a decent wage, enough to where the associates wouldn’t need to rely on gov. assistance, then that would be one less burden on taxpayers all over the country. But that will be the day!!! Fellow wal-mart associates, we need to form a union and we need one now!!!

February 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm
(14) Daniel Swanson says:

It is 2013 and Walmart still tries to sue if you collect money from the person guilty of causing the injury. My wife broke her arm falling in a pothole at Jeffersontown Ky’s Gaslight Festival. Walmart’s insurance did not even pay enough and argued with all charges. When I placed a claim with the city of Jeffersontown and got a little more money, Walmart had it’s had out saying give it over or we sue you. WE did not get a windfall and all the money went to pay for doctor’s bills. Jeffersontown still never fixed the hole either. Politics and corporations in bed with each other to ruin the economy and country we love.